NRA Basic Pistol Safety Courses
The National Rifle Association (NRA) Basic Pistol Safety Course is a classroom instruction on the basic safety of pistol shooting. It is mandatory to successfully complete this course in order to obtain a pistol permit in Westchester County and many other counties in New York State.
New York City does not require completion of this course to obtain a New York City Pistol Permit. However, we strongly recommend any applicant applying for a pistol permit completes this course for basic knowledge and safety reasons.
In this course you will learn the following:
- Safe pistol handling
- Pistol parts and operation
- Ammunition and its function
- Shooting fundamentals
- How to select, clean, and store a firearm
- Shooting positions
- How to choose a pistol
The Fundamental NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling are:
- ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
- ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use
Once you have successfully completed this course you will receive a certificate. A copy of this certificate must be submitted with the pistol permit application in order to obtain a pistol permit in the State of New York.
NYC & NYS Pistol Permit Assistance